Cultural & Historic Interests 
>> Home >> Back

Alkawa Museum Alkawa Museum Myosenji-Temple Sado Taiko Centre Kitazawa Remains The Sado Gold Mine Chokoku-ji Shukunegi Sai-no-kawara The Sado Bugyosho Nahsinoki jizo Myosho-ji Temple Rengebu-ji Temple Mingeikan Jishoro Sado Museum Ogi Museum Hanga Museum Konpon-ji Temple Dakota Seisui-ji Temple Iwayasan Gold Park

1: Sado Gold Mine  2. Sado Museum  
3:
Mingeikan 4: Sado Bugyosho  5:
The Sado Hanga-mura (Wood-block Printmaking ) Museum
6:
Jishoro 7: The Aikawa Folk Museum
8: Remaining structure of Kitazawa Floatation Processing Plant and Power Plant

9:
Chokoku-ji Temple 10: Seisui-ji Temple  11: Kompon-ji Temple  12: Myosen-ji Temple
13:
Myosho-ji Temple 14: Nashinoki Jizo Shrine  15:
Rengebu-ji Temple  
16:
The Sado-koku Ogi Folklore Museum  
17: Iwayasan Cave 18: Shukunegi
19: Sado Island Taiko Centre 
20: Sai-no-kawara 21: The Monument for the Dakota Incident  
22: Nishimikawa Gold Park 23. The Remaining Structure of Oma Port 


Sado Gold Mine

>> Top


Phone 0259-74-2389 Fax : 0259-74-3235
Open daily 8:00am -5:00pm Apr. to Oct. (8:30am-4:30pm during Nov. to Mar.)
URL: http://www.sado-kinzan.com 

 

View Sado Gold Mine in a larger map

A must-see attraction on Sado. Sado Gold Mine was ranked one of the world’s top 3 precious mineral mines along with ones in Potosi, Bolivia and Zacatecas, Mexico—both registered World Heritage areas—in the early 17th century. The business developed through multiple stages of engineering with emerged technologies over its nearly four-century operation until 1989 when operation discontinued. The total output of gold and silver reached 78 tons and 2,330 tons respectively, the largest production in the country (except newly-discovered and active Hishikari gold mine in Kagoshima). Sado Gold Mine is listed on the nation’s tentative list of World Heritage sites to be nominated to UNESCO. Sodayu tunnel, chiseled by hand in the early 17th century, and Doyu tunnel, opened up by machinery in the late 19th century, are available to the public. Mumyoi tunnel will be newly opened in April 2017. Admission: 900 yen each course; 1,400 yen combined for two, 1,900 yen for all three tunnels. Other historic and industrial heritage courses with a guide (in Japanese) are available. Contact us about cost and availability.
gsado@sado-kinzan.com   http://www.sado-kinzan.com/en/ 

             


Sado Museum

>> Top


Phone/Fax (0259) 52-2447  
Open daily 8:30am - 5:00pm  Admission 500 yen  

 

View Sado Museum in a larger map

Sado Museum features all aspects of Sado, including: geology, zoology, botany, oceanography, archeology, historical science, traditional entertainments, fine arts and inventions. Its gallery also displays the artwork of Tsuchiya Bakusen, a historic great master painter who was born on Sado.  The museum occasionally arranges a special bus tour to visit sites of cultural and historical significance.  For schedules, costs and availability, call or fax to the museum. 

       


Mingei-kan An exhibition of classic collection of chests and artifacts

>> Top


Phone 0259-55-2174 Fax 0259-55-4363
Open 8am - 6pm Closed 1st day of the month
Admission. 300 yen  URL: http://www4.ocn.ne.jp/~s-mingei/

 

A century-old private house with owner's antique collections is now open to the public. Sado's history, culture, and traditions are seen in chests and other items. We also display the early development of Imari ceramics, which were brought to the island from Kyushu through the marine transportation of the 18th century. The entrance is inside of a family-run clothes shop.

View Mingeikan in a larger map


Sado Bugyosho, a rebuilt Sado's Magistate office

>> Top


Phone (0259) 74-2201   Admission 500 yen
Hours: 8:45am - 5pm  Closed from Dec 29 to Jan 3.

See where the gold mining operation was governed from at this restored branch office building dating back to the era of the Tokugawa Shogunate (from 17th cientury to late 19 century). Skillful carpenters successfully restored the original construction.

View Sado Bugyosho in a larger map


The Sado Hanga-mura (Wood-block Printmaking ) Museum 

>> Top


Phone (0259) 74-3931  Admission 400 yen
Open daily 9am - 5pm  Closed from Dec to Feb.

Various hand-made prints depicting people's daily life on Sado are displayed. The building used to be an old courthouse which retains a vestige of the old days. 

View Sado Bugyosho in a larger map


Jishoro Bell House  

>> Top


Jishoro Bell House is found at the coner of the end of Kyomacchi-dori Street. The bell was cast in 1917 with Sado's copper. The house fell victim of fire but was rebuilt in 1834 and renovated in 1860. The bell is used to be tell time to people in the area. The routine once disappeared in the early 19th century; however, the activity was recently revived by the locals. The bell is rung at 7:00am and 6:00pm (Apr. to Oct) or 5:00pm (Nov. to Mr.). 

View Jishoro in a larger map


The Aikawa Folk Museum
(Folk Museum & the Aikawa Exhibit House of Folk Crafts)

>> Top


Phone (0259) 74-4313 Admission 300 yen 
Hours: 8:30am - 5pm  Closed Sat, Sun, and holidays from Nov to Feb, and from Dec 28 to Jan 3.

The museum exhibits historic materials from the Sado gold mine and its related artifacts. The Exhibit House offers hands-on experiences of artwork: try your own pottery work for 1600 yen, or traditional Sakiori weaving for 2400 yen.

View Aikawa Folk Museum in a larger map


Remaining structures of Kitazawa Flotation Processing Plant and Power Plant

>> Top


This old concrete structure is all that remains of what was a one time the largest processing plant of its kind in East Asia . The plant was originally designed to increase output of the mining operation, and its construction was completed in 1938. However, the production shifted to war supplies such as copper after WWII broke out in 1941. Unfortunately, excessive mining during the war period resulted in a large scale of downsizing and ultimately the plant shutdown in 1952. The brick building next to it is the remains of Sado's first coal-fired power plant intorudced in 1908.  Admission free.

View Remaining structures of Kitazawa Froth Processing and Power Plant in a larger map


Chokoku-ji Temple

>> Top


      

According to a legend, Chokoku-ji Temple was also built in 807 by the founder of Shingon Buddhism, Kukai (also called Kobo-daishi). Records indicate that, due to geographic similarities, Retired Emperor Juntoku named Chokoku-ji after Nara 's Hasedera Temple when he came to Sado in 1221. Various flowers are in bloom year round, and the temple is home to a variety of local treasures, including a wooden statue of an 11-faced Kannon. Descriptive handouts in English, Korean, Chinese, Taiwanese, Russian and other version are available, and a free tour is offered in Japanese (please call in advance). Phone: 0259-66-2052 Open daily.

View Chokokuji Temple in a larger map


Seisui-ji Temple

>> Top


Seisui-ji Temple was built in 808 by Buddhist monk Ken'no, According to a local ledged, a child deity appeared and suggested to construct a temple when the monk stayed overnight here in 805. Meanwhile, Emperor Kammu (781-806) in Kyoto pitied many of the people for not being able to visit Kyoto's Kiyomizu-dera Temple. When the emperor heard this omen, he ordered to the monk to build Seisuiji Temple on Sado. The temple features a stage similar to the platform of Kiyomizu-dera Temple. While Kiyomizu is affliated with the hustle and bustle of Kyoto tourism, Seisui-ji's perpetual quietness makes for a peaceful visit. A lofty, tree-lined set of steps awaits your entry. Admission free.
 

View Seisuiji Temple in a larger map


Kompon-ji Temple

>> Top


Konpon-ji is one of the sacred sites honoring the Buddhist priest Nichiren, the founder of Nichiren Buddhism, another major Japanese Buddhist stream. He was banished to Sado in 1271 for his criticism of the Kamakura shogunate government. During his stay on Sado, he wrote the Kaimokusho (The Opening of Eyes), one of his most important scriptures. Konpon-ji, meaning "fundamental". The temple was built in 1607 to commemorate his honor and history. Admission is 300 yen. 

View Komponji Temple in a larger map


Myosen-ji Temple

>> Top


Myosen-ji Temple is said to have been built in 1278 by Endo Tamemori, a devout believer of Nichiren's philosophies. The temple was originally built at a different site but was moved to its present location in 1589. Its five-story pagoda tower was built in 1827 by two generations of carpenters and took 30 years to complete. Admission free. 

View Myosenji Temple in a larger map


Myosho-ji Temple

>> Top


After Nichiren arrived on Sado (as described the above), he successfully won a number of converts, causing the Kamakura government to reevaluate his importance in Japanese society. The government thus relocated him to Ichino-sawa here in 1272, where he eventually received a pardon and returned to Kamakura in 1274. In the following year, Myosho-ji Temple was established by a follower who remained. The nearby Jissoji Temple is another site important to Nichiren, as it was the location where he would worship the rising sun daily. Admission free. 

View Myoshoji Temple in a larger map


Nashinoki Jizo

>> Top


A jizo is a stone image of a guardian deity for children. The principal image kept here is said to protect children from illness and to help recovery. Many parents bring and leave jizo statues as these jizo undertake sufferings on these children's behalf. The number of jizo statues continues to rise.

View Nashinoki jizo in a larger map


Rengebu-ji Temple

>> Top


Rengebuji Temple is considered one of the three sacred temples (the other two are Kongobu-ji Temple in Wakayama and Murou-ji Temple in Nara) in esoteric Shingon Buddhism, one of major streams of Japanese Buddhism. Legend holds that the temple was built by Kukai, the founder of Shingon. However, there is no record of him ever having visited Sado. It is also said the 9th century Emperor Saga ordered Rengebu-ji's establishment on Sado for praying for the nation's peace as it is located in an unlucky direction from Kyoto's Imperial Palace. This temple maintains historically important architecture in each era, dating from the 14th. Free admission.  

View Rengebuji Temple in a larger map


The Sado-koku Ogi Folklore Museum

>> Top


Phone (0259) 86-2604  Admission 500 yen
Hours: 8:30am - 5p.m. Closed Sat, Sun, and holidays from Dec to Feb, and from Dec 28 to Jan 3.

 

This museum displays a wealth of Sado's historical relics as well as a restored sailing ship Hakusan-maru, wihch was orignally designed in the Edo period. A festive event will be held on July 30th in 2017. See Events and Festivals. 

View Sado-koku Ogi Folklore Museum in a larger map


Iwayasan Cave

>> Top


 

In cave  in a hidden hilltop, multiple deity images were carved on the wall inside the cave. Local people consider it a holy site. A legend says this narrow cave is said to go through to Iwaya-guchi, a northern part f the island.

View Iwayasan Cave in a larger map


Shukunegi

>> Top


This entire area has been declared a national historic site. It was originally a village of skillful ship builders and owners when Ogi Port was one of the designated port of call for Japan's maritime transportation activities as well a prime embarking port  for Sado's gold between the 17th and mid 19th centuries. Multiple old houses open to the public (with a charge) preserve a vestige of prosperity and show visitors building technique of the times. Behind the small village, Shokoji Temple stands quietly, where all households in the area worship a guardian deity that is said to ensure navigational safety. In adhering to this practice, locals replace flowers at the temple before they wither or dry so that they appear to last forever. 

View Shukunegi in a larger map


Sado Taiko Centre

>> Top


Phone: 0259-86-2320  Fax: 0259-86-2385
Hours:
9am to 5pm Closed Monday  (If a national holiday falls on Monday, it is open and closed the following Tuesday.)
URL: http://www.sadotaiken.jp/index_j.html (Japanese text)
E-mail:
info@sadotaiken.jp

View Sado Taiko Centre in a larger map

Sado Island Taiko Centre offers a hands-on learning experience in Japanese taiko for groups and individual visitors (from a 60min course 2,000 yen, an advance reservation is needed). Please feel free to contact us for availability and detailed information. We are located close to Kodo Village, where the internationally renowned Japanese drum performing group Kodo is based. Enjoy beating taiko in our facility surrounded by the warmth of woods and splendid nature. Two large natural wooden taiko, which were made from a 600 year-old (estimated) keyaki tree, are in place in our hall. Walk-in visitors are also welcome. 
http://www.sadotaiken.jp/
    (JP text)
 
 Video Clip1   Video Clip2 Video Clip3
 
 

              


Sai-no-kawara

>> Top


This cave is found in the middle of the footpath between Ono-game and Futatsu-game (see Scenic Spots section). Hundreds of jizo statues are left by parents whose children died. A local folk tale says this place is where those children stop in on the way to heaven. These figurines ensure that children have a safe journey. 

View Sai-no-kawara in a larger map


The Monument for the Dakota Incident

>> Top


This is the place where RAF (Royal Air Force) aircraft FL510, as a Dakota III or Sister Ann, crash-landed in January 1946, just 5 months after the end of WWII. All aboard the aircraft were safe. With warm hospitality for its crew members provided by local people the plane was successfully repaired and flown back into the skies. Based on this story, a Japanese film was produced in 2013. The title is “Tobe! Dakota” (English title: FLY, DAKOTA, FLY!)   Nippon Cinema (English) 
Theme Tune   Tobe Dakota Official site (Japanese) 
In the past, the 1955 movie, The Night My Number Came Up, was created on the true story of Air Marshal Victor Goddard, one of the Dakota’s passengers. It tells the story of why the artifact came to Sado. However, the rest of the story, what happened after the crash-landing, was virtually unknown until recently. The  new movie revealed it to all viewers for the first time. 

View The Dakota Monument in a larger map

Nishimikawa Gold Park

>> Top


Phone: 0259-86-2320  Fax: 0259-58-2023
Hours: 8:30am – 5:00pm (Mar., Apr., and Sep. to Nov.); 8:30am – 5:30pm (May to Aug.);  9:00am - 4:30pm (Dec.to Feb.); Admissions: 800 yen 
http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~snmgp/

Sado Nishimikawa Gold Park is a place where visitors can enjoy gold panning as well as scientific exhibitions.  History of gold extraction on Sado dates back to this Nishimikawa Alluvial Gold as early as 12th century, although Sado’s gold and silver mines are often represented by the open-cut (hard-rock) and underground mining at Sado Gold Mine in Aikawa, whose development began in the early 17th century. Try panning for gold. Practice makes perfect as they say. You will get gold or we will make you get gold. http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~snmgp/


View Gold Park in a larger map

 


The Remaining Structure of Oma Port

>> Top


The construction of Oma Port was completed in 1892 to facilitate unloading supplies and coal for Sado's gold mining business, and was actively used until the middle of the 20th century. A stretch of embankment consists to natural stones filled with hard-packed clay and slaked lime, making water-tight stone pitching layers to provide strong resistance against pounding waves. This Tataki embankment structure was a significant civil engineering achievement at the time without using concrete materials that were at unaffordable prices. The same embankment structure prevailed across the country during the 19th century. However, most of them were modernized and now long gone. Oma Port is one of few treasured places that still retain the original formation.  

 

View Oma Port in a larger map